Thursday, February 22, 2007

Theatre Exp...

Right from my childhood, as early as I could recollect, I have always been a movie lover.

There was a local theatre near my home in my native place. When I was small, going to movie was always a well-ahead preparation with requirement of approvals from long chain of commands. First I would have to propose that to my sister, we both would take that to my mom, then to my dad, then to my grand-ma and at last to my chithappa (a tough one to get the approval). Once everyone approves it, my entire family would go to watch the movie.

On the day of going to theatre almost all day I would be very happy, enthusiastic and brisk. Just before the movie starts, that theatre usually plays some music (same music every time) in loud speaker aloud, that's the indication & final call to the people living around that theatre to rush in to the theatre to catch the movie from the beginning.

When I hear that music, I would feel very very happy that I am going to start watching the movie very shortly. I am not really able to portrait that feeling well in words now. I have watched so many black & white classic movies in that theatre from my childhood. Going to that theatre proportionately reduced with my increasing age, the last I visited was during the year 2004 to watch the movie ‘Gillie’.

I always think that the current state of mind, the theatre ambience and accompanying people each play a crucial role in making you like or dislike the movie. (Movie may be a best one or a bust one that matters a little). I have enjoyed watching many super duper flop movies (like Mafia Gang, Time etc) because of those influencing factors and hated real nice movies as well for the very same reason.

Last week I went to watch a movie in a Drive-in in Chennai (Prarthana). That was my first drive-in theatre experience. I was in a good mood, the ambience was pretty good – I was in my car, my own private place, I was accompanied by my wife, who became a movie lover because of me. I could talk to my wife & discuss the movie while it was playing without disturbing anyone nearby; I could talk over my cell phone; I had my dinner too. Totally, I enjoyed the movie very much.

8 comments:

Venkat said...

I have always felt the same. I have enjoyed watching many horrible (or horror?) movies like Sullan, Metupatti Mirasu with my friends ...

Anonymous said...

Itz been pleasure to read this blog that i have a person who stands on the same page in movie watching. In my childhood itz been a celebration throughout the day if i go to theatre to watch any movie. At the theatre, I love to watch the crowd and my heart beat grows along with the cover screen goes up with the music. My parents used to tell me i look so active if i am brought to the theatre.
Like you did i used to watch all the black and white and any color movies. I became the strong movie lover and over period and started feeling the difference of the good and bad moives. The movies that i enjoyed those days became the worst movie now (All MGR and few Rajini movies) and the moives i never understand becomes a loveable movie(Muthal mariyaathai for example). Anyways just a wanna share my feelings.Keep blogging.

Seenivasan said...

Venkat - with the right companay I am sure anyone would enjoy the craps like Sullan & Metupatti Mirasu.

Thanks for your comments.

Seenivasan said...

Ramasubbu,

Your first comment. Welcome.

You & I more or less have similar backgrounds. That's why you were able to relate with my experience.

I have also felt exactly the same way as you did with the movies that you thought best and later hated.

Wonderful...Thanks for sharing your feelings...keep commenting.

Arasan said...

Hey Subbu,

Good to see you here atlast.

How to watch 3 movies in 3 hours in 3 theatres for 1 movie price? Here is the Man who can do this, its none other than Super Subbu.

Mafia Gang, Mannavaru Sinnavaru, Anbalayam, Bade Miyan Chote Miyan these are the movies which i enjoyed to its extreme....though these movies are junk...:)-

I missed the movie "TIME".

I think, Athisaya piravi was my movie to be watched in theatre and I enjoyed the movie because of ambience and I was so excited to watch Rajini movie in theatre for the first time.

"He couldnt able to sit in the chair and watch the movie" That was the comment on me by my brother.

Seenivasan said...

Mannavaru Sinnavaru, Anbalayam, Bade Miyan Chote Miyan -
I enjoyed watching these movies too.

Anonymous said...

Arasa, Thanks for remainding me that 1 ticket 3 movies in 3 hrs. Wonderful experience it was. Actually it was not delebrate when i entered in to that movie complex,but the movie i bought the ticket was stupid (i think some sarathkumar movie Rishi i guess) and thought of leaving home in the half way. Suddenly it came to my mind why don't we try something different and no second thought i got in to the other movie hall without knowing which movie is running, It was Kushi which i tasted 4 times already, Happily watched that for 1 hour. 30 min before the climax i came out and went in to the otherone playing Paarthale paravasam climax...When i came out from the hall i clubbed all the three movies and got a new story which is a diffent experience in movie watching and it made worth for the ticket i bought.

Seenivasan said...

Subbu, Why dont you start writing a blog?
1 ticket 3 movies in 3 hrs - amazing...!!!