Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Nostalgia

I cried; I cried happily on the day I got my first job 7 years ago (I think it was June 1998, approximately).

Now after 6 wonderful years I am leaving my first job on 29th July. It's pretty hard to say adios.

A wise man told not to get attached with the organization but with the work. I didn't know how to do that. I will have to practice that at my new organization.

Main thing that I feel bad about is loosing the network that I have built in last 6 years at my current organization. Network of people at many levels. I have to build a similar network at my new job pretty fast to compensate this.

First job, first salary, first flight trip, first recognition as a great performer (I was an average performer since school), first role as project leader...so many "first" memories were at my current organization.

I want to keep all that nostalgic stupidity aside and be practical asap.

Biggest challenge that I foresee at my new job is in 'blending in' with that organization's culture. Sooner I do better I would be.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It happens to a lot of people who move out of their comfort zones. If you are 6 years in a company, then it becomes a com'fort' zone. When I quit my last company for the second time :), there was the same feeling again. I could not believe it. How can I feel nostalgic gain!!!! But still I felt it because of the comfyness and familiarity of the place.

Anonymous said...

Basically, what happpens in a transition is, u goto a new place, see everything new and u are living every minute of your life. Along with this comes unpredictability as well as a freshness in life. But we are so fond of security at jobplace that we want the workplace to be familiar and comfortable very soon. The rest of the things like networking, and stuff help you in official life only if you want to break an office rule. Otherwise,

Anonymous said...

you always get what you deserve. Only in a case where in you want something out of your reach and need somebody's help, you need to be 'comfortable' and have to be networked. In a perfect company, or an imperfect company too, if you have the perfect mindset (donot expect anything except completion of your work not the rewards), it's comfortable even on the first day. Every company is

Anonymous said...

a place of business. As long as you are worthy, they will pay you and nourish you. You are already resourceful and useful to them, otherwise they would not have paid you so much. However in your case, I think the lot of 'first's certainly deserve a lot of nostalgia. But apprehension about the new place might be unwarranted. Ultimately this is the Indian S/W industry and everybody wants to be comfortable. :))

Anonymous said...

I never knew that you cried when you got your first job!! But I agree with you that it is hard to give up your association with something especially when you have had so many 'firsts'. I have gone through that and senthil has gone through it quite a few times (;-)). I feel that the comfort zone that senthil describes about, need not be because of the security of the job itself. We are happy as long as things happen on its own and our superior is willing to support our way through the corporate ladder.
I remember seeni's quote, "a company is as good/bad as the manager that you are reporting to". I guess his current apprehension is all about that. We never know what is in store for us in the new place.

seeni ... do you remember senthil's philosophical thought few years ago. It was a quote from the gita which says we should do our job and not expect the rewards. He is sticking his guns to it .. but do you think it is still relevant to us in an era when people who really dont do work stake a claim for the reward.

Seenivasan said...

Senthil/Bals,

Thanks for your comments.

Seeni