Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Goal

I read the book 'The Goal' by Eliyahu M.Goldratt. This is one of the greatest books that I have read. I recommend this book strongly to all the managers who are worried about productivity improvement. This is a management book written in fiction style. The story is set up in manufacturing industry and it talks about productivity improvement in a manufacturing plant. With a little bit of thinking the concepts explained in this book can be applied to service industries as well.

Surprisingly this book was written 23 years ago. When it comes to management books I would always go for the books published in the recent years for very obvious reasons. But this one seems to be applicable even these days.

I bought the part 2 of this book 'The Goal - It's Not Luck' as well. Waiting eagerly to read the second one as well.

3 comments:

Sarangan said...

Part 2 will also be very good...Esp. Part 2 is more suitable for software manageres..as the first one will focus more on the manufacturing stuff....

After goal 2, read 'Beyond Goal'. This would explain the theory of Constraints and its real time usage....

Seenivasan said...

That's cool. let me buy 'Beyond Goal' as well.

I haven't started part 2 yet.

Baranidharan said...

Let me try out :-)