Friday, May 12, 2006

hmmm...MBA

A colleague-friend of mine introduced his fried, who was an ISB aspirant a few years back but did not get a chance to sit on the 'hot seat' of ISB. He is working for BNP Paribas, an European bank now.

I always have a thing for MBAs and MBA aspirants. When a person says that he is thinking of pursuing an MBA or he is an MBA, my eyes go wide and balls (eyes') come a little out to watch them keenly. I observe their style, the way they present themselves, the way they talk about them & others etc. Not that I am on an evaluation kind of mode; just that I am trying to learn something. This guy I was talking about in the first two lines was an interesting person. He shared why he couldn't get through. Learning from failures is a good thing; learning from other's failures is a wise thing. So I had to probe a little to make him talk about his failure. Lets not get into all what he said for now.

According to him, one must prepare for MBA interviews like a girl prepares for a beauty contest. Virtual or real the way you answer the interviewer should be spontaneous, wearing a smile on your face and showing a good gesture. I have not watched many beauty contests but his statement reminded me of the movie Miss Congeniality. And I was able to correlate. The punch line "World Peace" is unforgettable. And the way Sandra Bullock says that on beauty pageant was sweet. (I am not a big fan of Sandra though).

I see two kinds of people a lot around me. One, who wants to pursue MBA; two, who wanted to puruse MBA. I definitely fall under one of these two categories.

What an MBA teaches people? It teaches you how to think. (I read this line sometime somewhere)

2 comments:

Arasan said...

I have come across my friend preparing for ISB. I was witnessing all his ISB preparation. He couldnt able to get through the interview. Beauty contest preparation, Yep I could observe something like that in his preparation. You know what! I started blogging after reviewing some of his Essays :)-

KG said...

Hey Seeni,

I do fall into 1 of the 2 categories; pursuing a MBA is not that easy nor is that tough too .Your views on MBA were really appealing – coz they’re free-spoken! As Long As we have that 'Zeal' in us we'll never be out of the track; now we’re in the analysis mode mayhap but time will come when we can sort out things n make them move the way we want to; Also you are a prospective manager…you’ll definitely make your entry into a highly reputed B-school and emerge out as one of the most efficient managers in the future. Keep going Sir…sorry…MBA aspirant!