Wednesday, November 07, 2007

That one skill...!!!

If there is one skill that I badly want to learn & excel it is the questioning skill.

In my entire school & college life I hardly remember asking any questions in my classes. Most of the times I never had any questions or I was afraid of opening up. I always give a nasty look at the people who raise a lot of questions. Guess I was so jealous of them. It is when I started my career & during my initial training of my job I pushed myself so hard and set goals myself of 'opening up' to ask questions. I started asking at least one question in almost all of my training sessions. Honestly, I felt so good with a sense of great achievement. (By the way, quality of the questions that I raised is out of scope of this discussion).

Even now I am so jealous of people who ask really good questions. I don't know how they learnt that skill. Is there a way to learn the skill of asking good & right questions at right time? Please help me.

7 comments:

Baranidharan said...

That is a good question :-)

Seenivasan said...

Thanks for the compliments Barani. But I didn't expect the compliment. Where is my answer?

(another good question?)

Anonymous said...

Asking questions,
either due to 1.curiosity on topic 2.disagreement

If we want to know more about what is being conveyed we ask
where? when? how? who? kindof questions.
But if we don't agree we ask
why? (why not this way?)

Not asking questions,
either due to 1.understood everything 2.not interested in the topic 3.is this question silly? 4. fear.

anu

Venkat said...

I ask questions only to make them aware that I was actively listening through the session.

Seenivasan said...

@ Anu - yup agreed.

@ Venkat - good strategy. :)

Seenivasan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It is a nice question. it is good topic for compliment.
................................
Manmohan sharma
Digital infosys
24*7 quality outsourcing services.
Digital Infosys